Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Navalny

Movie: Navalny

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature

How I watched: HBO Max

When I fell asleep: once toward the end

When it had me: Contemporaneous Footage

When it lost me: It didn't

What systems does it challenge: Putin

Content Warning: I don't think so.

I knew Alexei Navalny was Putin's most vocal/most famous critic. I knew there had been an attempt on his life and that he ended up in a Russian prison. This documentary covers that whole period with up close and personal footage from his family and supporters and is filled with surprises.

I LOVE a good investigation and this move includes one with some jaw dropping results. It's that moment where I think how did this documentary film maker luck into this story!

Getting to know the Navalny's was interesting. They were different than I would have supposed; more western and less ruffled by the life threatening danger they face. There were insights into Alexei, the politician, but in some ways the movie provided more questions than answers. It feels certain that if he survives and Putin doesn't, he will lead Russia one day. But that feels a long way off.

This was a very satisfying watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment