Thursday, February 2, 2023

Avatar: The Way of Water

Movie: Avatar: The Way of Water

Nominated for: Best Picture, Best Sound, Best Production Design, Best Visual Effects

How I watched: AMC Dolby, with the seats that shake a little so you don't fall asleep! Smart.

When I fell asleep: Nope

When it had me: Zoe Saldana

When it lost me: Often

What systems does it challenge: Invasion, Colonization, Genocide

Content Warning: Animal Harm

Overall, I would say this is a fine movie that didn't need to be quite so overblown. I didn't hate it but, even so, right now I can mostly only think of complaints.

The visuals looked like a video game to me. I remember Avatar (the first one) feeling like a real place but maybe that is just a weird memory. I wasn't blown away by new vistas on Pandora because it just felt like a (really good) game.

I got confused by the lack of concern about mining, stealing of resources and invasion in this movie. The only concern was one family hiding. They didn't clarify if the fight would continue in their absence.

There was a slightly patriarchal vibe. Jake is kind of a typical American father that rules from a grumpy place of fear. I guess it makes sense given his background, but they have always driven home how adaptable he is and able to grow and change with new influences. Just not in this particular case, I guess. 

The story line I found most engaging was of a character, Miri, who has a mysterious origin and some interesting and as yet, untested, powers. I'm intrigued by her, so that's something positive!

My favorite scene by far was one of Zoe Saldana kicking ass.

Do I even have to mention that it was too long? Everyone! Just go cut 30 minutes out of your movie! If you've never made a movie, just cut 30 minutes out of ANY movie! Better yet, give the movies to me! Let me show you how to make them shorter! Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment