Monday, February 13, 2023

Decision to Leave

Movie: Decision to Leave

Nominated for: Best International Film

How I watched: Prime

When I fell asleep: I nodded off midday! But I recovered

When it had me: stunning visual style

When it lost me: ?

What systems does it challenge: marriage, perhaps?

Content Warning: Suicide

Decision to Leave is part crime drama and part romance. The crime drama portion uses the stunning visuals I mentioned above. Lots of interesting ways to show the main detective investigating and interacting with evidence and suspects. We get a glimpse inside the mind of this capable detective at work. One transition in particular made me gasp out loud...what can I say? Once an editor, always impressed with juxtaposed footage. It's that feeling when the work is so good, you wish you had done it.

There are many characters who grapple with the "decision to leave" in a variety of ways; leaving a marriage, a job, a city, a country, or even their life. Even so, I felt the more central issue of the film was desire. What does a life look like without desire versus with it? How do you handle desire when it surprises you? What will it drive you to do? How does it affect you to feel desire or to feel desired?

The story was a fun journey for me. I was never quite sure what was coming next and the surprises were enjoyable. It feels like one that I will keep thinking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment