Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Movie: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Nominated for: Best Supporting Actress, Best Costume Design, Best Original Song, Best MakeUp and Hairstyling, Best Visual Effects

How I watched: AMC, a long time ago

When I fell asleep: I did not

When it had me: Beautiful Visuals

When it lost me: The fights

What systems does it challenge: I'm not clear

Content Warning: I don't think so (It's been a while since I saw it.)

This movie felt as if they had a script all ready to go and then something tragic happened and they had to throw out that script and come up with a new one, with a  new main character in a short span of time. Which, is what happened.

The movie gives us a very lovely memorial to Chadwick Boseman and his character, gorgeous visuals, wonderful characters, well-acted, a lovely world to return to and beyond all of that, kind of a jumbled mess.

There was a lot of interesting stuff in the film that really had me bought in but in the end felt unresolved. Issues of Faith and Science and how they compliment each other and when they don't. Can you lead a people when you don't share their faith? Can faith look different to a scientist but still be valid? Really cool content and I don't know what decision the character made about it in the film.

There was deep, engaging conversation between the main character and the villain. How do you protect resources? Are you ethically required to share them? Where does protection cross over into needless aggression? These two people were communicating and seeming to hear each other on very nuanced matters and then minutes later they were fighting to the death and it wasn't clear to me why the conversation even stopped.

It was a jumble of good and baffling moments with a weird tacked on Martin Freeman story line added in. 

What felt like the biggest dramatic movement of the film actually happened in the end credit scene, which was, again, baffling.

I'm very sorry for this family of film makers to not only have lost someone so dear to them but then to also be required to keep to a schedule that might have made this follow up not nearly as amazing as it could have been.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment