Friday, March 3, 2023

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

Movie: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

Nominated for: Best Documentary Feature

How I watched: Laemmle

When I fell asleep: I didn't

When it had me: Protesting!

When it lost me: It came close, but didn't

What systems does it challenge: Big Pharma, Generational Trauma

Content Warning: Self Harm, Drug Addiction/use, Domestic Violence

After two grueling days of jury duty and escaping the trial, I had to bravely go out in a break in the big winter Blizzard Blast of 2023 to make it to the very last showing of this film before it left theatres! Whew!

I'm glad I did! This was a very engaging film that deftly handled a number of topics. The first bit I really connected to was artists staging protests against the Sackler family, who are uniquely responsible for the opioid crisis. I love when creative people stage protests! They have drama and props and a talent for getting eyes on them without violence. Artists should run all of the protests.

It was also about the artist, Nan Goldin and her life. There were moments when I feared the film would veer off too much into a kind of restless remembrance of her life, but it always knew when to bring it back and how to connect it to the through line of the movie. It really was very well guided by an expert editor.

Mental illness was a huge component right alongside learning about opioid addiction. There was a lot to juggle and it was all approached with artistic expression in mind. It was lyrical, impactful, poetic and poignant. It somehow managed to make you feel both helpless and hopeful.

The documentary category is incredibly strong this year! Perhaps our real lives have become more dramatic than the writers can keep up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment