Thursday, March 9, 2023

Tell it Like a Woman

Movie: Tell it Like a Woman

Nominated for: Original Song

How I watched: Prime

When I fell asleep: Nope. Morning screening!

When it had me: Italian language

When it lost me: lack of cohesion

What systems does it challenge: Ugh, it's too much for me to break down

Content Warning: Not really

This is a collection of 7 short films about women written and directed by women. It feels like a really loose basis for bundling stories and titling them as one single film. That being said, I was happy to watch women-helmed projects, some by I think first time directors.

A mother in prison, caregivers to the homeless, a woman inheriting a child, a single mom who struggles to have enough time with her kids, a woman coming to terms with her own sterotypes about what a woman is, a woman who helps an abuse victim escape and an animated prisoner are the characters that populate this collection of stories.

I appreciated that the nominated song was actually integrated into one of the short films, rather than just a song over the rolling credits. It always makes more sense to me for the nominated song to actually be a tool in the story telling. 

Overall, this was a fine watch if a little confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment