Saturday, March 11, 2023

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Movie: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Nominated for: Best Animated Film

How I watched: Prime

When I fell asleep: I didn't

When it had me: A handful of characters

When it lost me: Intermittently

What systems does it challenge: I can't quite put it into words.

Content Warning: I would so no, but so much murder in a kids film!

I remember being fairly annoyed with Puss as a character. He's really narcissistic and says his own name: ALL. THE. TIME. So I wasn't looking forward to this one.

My kids liked the animation style. I got into this film more when I realized the new dog character is basically Gen Z who has been introduced to try and help the Gen X characters of Puss and Kitty to heal their damn traumas. John Mulaney made a funny bad guy and I would swear he wrote a couple of his own lines; they just sounded like him.

I'm glad they prioritized vulnerability and self care in this installment. Even so, the redemption felt a little corny to me. But my kids enjoyed this movie, so that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment