Saturday, March 11, 2023

Animated Short Films

THE BOY, THE MOLE, THE FOX, AND THE HORSE - This has a Winnie the Pooh vibe. A little boy talks to a variety of wise and kind animals. It just manages to be far more boring about it. If I had a toddler I would make it a ritual for the kid to watch this everyday before nap time to try an help convince them to be a good person. B-

 

THE FLYING SAILOR- I think animated shorts are at their best when they try to show us something we can't see in conventional ways. This film attempts to make visual the experience of being in en explosion, and while flying through the air, dying, seeing your memories, reversing, coming back into your body and surviving. Lots of cool methods and styles are employed to communicate this instantaneous story. A+

 

ICE MERCHANTS - A very well thought out metaphor. Grief is a cold and desolate place you must survive and it feels like jumping off of a cliff every day. But eventually you begin to build a safety net for yourself. A


MY YEAR OF DICKS - A hilariously awkward tale of a horny teenage girl trying to "lose her virginity" in the 90s. I wonder what stories of first intimacies will be like for Gen Z. Very different from this, I think. B

 

AN OSTRICH TOLD ME THE WORLD IS FAKE AND I THINK I BELIEVE IT -  This looks like a very funny stop motion story about discovering you are living in a simulation. I only saw the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment