Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Quiet Girl

Movie: The Quiet Girl

Nominated for: Best International Feature

How I watched: AMC

When I fell asleep: I did not

When it had me: A quiet sad child of the 1970s

When it lost me: I don't think it did

What systems does it challenge: I'm going to reach for religion, though it is not direct

Content Warning: loss of a child

Based on: Foster by Claire Keegan

The Quiet Girl is about a shy, sad, thoughtful child with three older siblings and two younger siblings and poor, overwhelmed parents. The child is beleaguered and doesn't feel wanted in her own family. Her parents send her to live with relatives to save money on feeding her and time on looking after her.

What follows is a blossoming that we should desire for every child: relaxing and opening up in an environment where you feel cared for, valued, respected and even loved.

I couldn't help but identify with the little brunette child with long straight hair who felt very unsure about the adults in her world. I responded well to the slow, quiet and cautious bonding that takes place between the kid and her new foster parents. None of it was big and monumental, but it felt deeply significant, nonetheless.

This was a nice warm story that was only about 90 minutes long. I heartily approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment