Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

Movie: Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

Nominated for: Costume Design

How I watched: Peacock

When I fell asleep: I watched at 8am, so I was good

When it had me: It neither had...

When it lost me: ...nor lost me

What systems does it challenge: Haute Couture, but also it's kind of pro-worker?

Content Warning: not needed

Based on: Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico - This is the third adaptation of this book

Lesley Manville delivers a subtle and grounded character and the costumes are gorgeous in this otherwise very confusing movie. It's a very light and slightly magical rom-com and if only I could just turn my brain off and bask in warm feelings, I think I should have liked this.

They deal with the Invisble Woman a lot in this film, a group to which I now gratefully count myself a member. Invisibility issues are serious for anyone not in the mainstream demographic; you can be invisible for race, class, gender, sexual orientation or age. However most often when I hear about the Invisible Woman it deals with ladies who now have bodies that men no longer wish to objectify or control. I wish the story had focused on the inherent power associated with no longer being a commodity, but instead she was still trying to be seen as a value to men and that kind of bummer me out.

The main character goes around saving people but not with any logic, just with a sort of eccentric charm. She becomes vaguely aware of worker strikes and leveraging power but it never coalesces into a sea change for the simple hard working woman who just wants a pretty dress. If the manic pixie dream matron had ended up slinging Molotovs in the name of revolution, they would have won me over. But they did not.

It's a sweet and simple story. I think it would be a feel good watch for viewers who can check their cynicism at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment