Wednesday, March 8, 2023

The Sea Beast

Movie: The Sea Beast

Nominated for: Best Animated Feature

How I watched: Netflix

When I fell asleep: No

When it had me: Animated water!

When it lost me: Not sure, but I think I was in and out

What systems does it challenge: Status Quo, generational trauma

Content Warning: no

The animation style was gorgeous when it came to the images of the ocean...just really beautiful. Some of the animation of the people looked more basic, but the sea was well represented.

My kids called this a mash up of How to Train Your Dragon and Moana.  

There is a very old monster hunter who is driven by the hard times he has seen and the black and white thinking he has come to embrace. His would be successor is more open to nuance but still feels powerless against the status quo, of which he has been fighting his whole life to become an established member. And lastly, a child of the youngest generation who is willing to completely question all the definitions of those that came before her and see the world in a whole new light. So, classic Boomer, Gen X, Gen Z dynamics.

My family started out ready to roll our eyes at this film and in the end, it won us over.

No comments:

Post a Comment