Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Movie: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Nominated for: Best Adapted Screenplay

How I watched: Netflix

When I fell asleep: I did not

When it had me: these characters

When it lost me: I don't think so

What systems does it challenge: Billionaires, Patriarchy

Content Warning: not really?

I'm a sucker for whodunnits. I like puzzles and escape rooms and investigations, real or imagined. So this is right up my alley. Rian Johnson pulls such wonderful casts for these movies and they appear to have so much fun committing to these wildly dumb characters.

There's such a fun interplay between what is exactly as it seems and what is a red herring. Our attention is brought to the car early for a reason. The rules of the Mona Lisa picture are explained for a purpose; you know you need to pay attention.

However, Derol is introduced as "just a guy staying here" and brushed over so quickly that you imagine it will become significant. The beauty is that it doesn't. He's really just a dude who doesn't know what's going on.

The twist in the film feels just a tiny bit clunky but all is forgiven for the fun ride that the rest of the movie gives you. And if you'd like a 2 hour 19 minute fantasy about not-Elon Musk being humiliated, this movie is your jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment