Sunday, April 11, 2021

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon

 Movie: A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Nominated for: Animated Feature Film
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I nodded off a couple times, right in the middle of the day!
When it had me: ???
When it lost me: There's no speaking; this was difficult
What I have to say: 

Clearly the sheep represent the lowest class in a capitalistic hierarchy. They have a middle class overseer in the form of a dog that is there is to police them constantly and keep them from reaching their full potential.

A visitor from outer space arrives, representing the visionary radical future re-imaginer who can begin to open the eyes of those in the oppressive capitalist regime and allow them to see the system that isn't serving them. The farmer is the 1%, obsessed with consumer pursuits and wealth.

Through a strong and supportive alliance they work for the betterment of all. In the end, the middle class dog has come to accept that his happiness is tied up with the success and comfort of the lowest class. The farmer is still ignorant to the goings on of anyone outside of his own selfish desires but one is encouraged that soon the 99% will cease to fight over the scraps left by the farmer and band together to create a meaningful change to benefit everyone.

Either that, or it's a story about an alien invasion and some mischievous sheep. Although I am a big fan of Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the Sheep doesn't land for me. It's too long of a story form for me to go without any actual dialog. My kids enjoyed the references to many other science fiction classics, but ultimately found this to be boring.

Honestly, I like it better if I convince myself it's in line with my first theory. I'm going with that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment