Friday, April 16, 2021

Greyhound

 Movie: Greyhound
Nominated for: Achievement in Sound
How I watched: Apple TV
When I fell asleep: I wanted to, a bit
When it had me: Ships almost crashing into each other
When it lost me: Navy language
What I have to say: 

You guys, I am fully vaccinated now! 

I got my second shot and then turned on this movie to await the flu-like symptoms I was promised. At first, the heavy nature of the Naval wartime language was almost too much. I wanted to shut down, but I stuck with it. Like with Shakespeare, I eventually adjusted. 

Learning the ins and outs of a battle at sea was more interesting than I had imagined. Tom Hanks seems to have just one track on film anymore; honest, thoughtful, beleaguered, deeply moral. He's good, every time, I just can't help but notice it's one act in most of his movies.

The movie is paced well, follows a single event with a clear goal and finishes up in about 90 minutes. I appreciated the structure and conciseness. It's a movie that I ended up enjoying but I can't imagine recommending it very often. 

By the end, my body aches had begun. Good bye, Tom Hanks, I've got immunities to build!

No comments:

Post a Comment