Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Mulan

Movie: Mulan
Nominated for: Costume Design, Visual Effects
How I watched: On Demand ("in theatres")
When I fell asleep: No
When it had me: Too long ago
When it lost me:  I don't remember
What I have to say:  

Um...I'll try to review this movie that I watched nearly a year ago...

I remember that there were things that they changed from the animated version that I didn't appreciate. My favorite scene in the original is how she uses her brain rather than brawn to get to the top of the pole in the boot camp. That whole aspect was lost in this film. In this movie it seemed that instead of being clever she was just magical, which felt like a step backwards.

The fight scenes were super cool! Well choreographed and beautiful to watch. Not Crouching Tiger beautiful, but trying to be. I do remember someone complaining that she won every fight with the same move, some crazy kind of kick.

My kids were mad there was no Mushu. As much as I like witches, they seemed really shoe-horned into this story and it wasn't clear why they needed to be.

This was a fun distraction from Covid at the time, but not a stellar movie overall.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment