Sunday, April 25, 2021

Short Films

I spent a couple of days tracking down short films. I didn't think I'd get to see any of them without my special Laemmle screenings but it turns out many of them were available online or streaming. So I managed more than I thought I would!


Animated Shorts

Burrow (Disney+) - A bunny struggles to build a home in a crowded part of the underground. Adorable! My kids had me watch this one a while ago.

If Anything Happens I Love You (Netflix) - Mortfying. Horrible, Don't watch.  (It's about a couple dealing with the loss of a child after a school shooting.)

Genius Loci (Vimeo) - Cool animations style, I have no idea what it was about. Maybe mental illness?

Yes-People (Vimeo rental) - I just watched the trailer; looks like a quirky little piece. 

Opera (unavailable)

 

Live Action Shorts

Two Distant Strangers (Netflix) -  A Black man gets stuck in a Groundhog Day style nightmare where he gets murdered over and over again by the same cop, no matter how he tries to alter his behavior. It feels like every day in America.

The Present (Netflix) -  A guy tries to buy a fridge for his wife for their anniversary but has trouble navigating the military checkpoints in Palestine. Scary look at the dehumanizing treatment of Palestinians.

Feeling Through (Youtube) - A homeless kid helps a deaf and blind man. It's a nice tale of connection.

The Letter Room - I watched the trailer. This one has Oscar Isaac and looks really good. 

White Eye (Unavailable)

 

Documentary Shorts

A Love Song for Latasha (Netflix) -  The story of the life and 1991 death of Latosha Harlins in South Central, Los Angeles. It is told with so much love. The style of the documentary is very distinct and poetic. Moving!

Colette (on their website)- A former French resistance fighter remembers the life and death of her brother with a young historian. A very emotional look at the ritual of passing along memories and stories to preserve someone's life experience and contribution to history. Painful and precious.

A Concerto is a Conversation (Watch the New York Times Op-Doc here.)- A gorgeous short. A conversation between a composer and his grandfather. It is shot in such an open and vulnerable way as to bring you immediately into an intimate, loving and respectful relationship.

Do Not Split (Vimeo) - A tense and unnerving look at pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. It's a small look at an on-going fight.

Hunger Ward (Pluto.com) - Children die of starvation in Yemen. Hard to watch, heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment