Saturday, April 10, 2021

Over the Moon

Movie: Over the Moon
Nominated for: Animated Feature Film
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: Not this time
When it had me: Ken Jeong's character saved the whole thing
When it lost me: A lot and often
What I have to say:  

This movie was a confusing mess for me. It started by establishing a fairly realistic world and then switched into magical reality and the shift felt abrupt and disorienting.

Five minutes in, this happened:

    Viviana: Which one of the parents is going to collapse because of                         cancer?

    Angelina: I'm betting it's the mom.

    Movie: (mom stumbles and grabs her head, dies within minutes)

It's so creepy when my kids do that!

Early on, it felt too sugary sweet, like there was too much baby talking, but that eased up. The animation styles switched around, which felt disorienting, lots of things felt strange like space blobs, spiky dogs, angry birds, moon concerts. All of the songs felt like they went on for too long.

I love the message about grieving and growing and moving on. All of that was solid. Maybe the film was just meant for a younger audience than me and my minions.

No comments:

Post a Comment