Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Another Round

Movie: Another Round
Nominated for: International Feature Film, Directing
How I watched: Hulu
When I fell asleep: No
When it had me: Mads Mikkelsen was so SAD!
When it lost me: I stayed with it
What I have to say: 

Another Round is about a (mostly) joyful experiment with alcohol. Four friends seek to incorporate a little mischief, intention and frivolity into their numbing middle staged lives. I was reminded of how great an actor Mads Mikkelsen is. His performance and the tone of the film are perfect. There's so much tension in watching the characters try things that are SURE to fail. And yet I found myself rooting for them again and again.

I have a feeling if 20 year old me had watched this film she would not have been amused. She was very judgy and would have viewed everyone in this film as a loser. But it was just right for Autumn now, who just wants people to find their own way to a better life, whatever it takes.

Mid life is tough. Exhaustion, disappointment and dissociation are real boogeymen and Another Round highlights a very unorthodox attempt to live mindfully. I'm all for it! (To be clear, more so the movie than the experiment, but I won't judge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment