Friday, April 9, 2021

Da 5 Bloods

Movie: Da 5 Bloods
Nominated for: Original Score
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I didn't
When it had me: The turns
When it lost me: Extended bickering between the friends
What I have to say: 

I did not know quite what to expect from this movie before or during my viewing. This is Spike Lee's Vietnam War piece and it felt like it borrowed heavily from those that went before. Vietnam War Movie is such a genre on its own, I feel like it is hard to stand out at this point. But this film also deals with PTSD in the present day survivors, fraught relationships between distant fathers and their children, survivor guilt, treasure, smuggling, charity and mortality.

If it sounds like this movie is all over the place, then I'd say that's an accurate representation. Mostly though, I would characterize the meandering in a pleasant way. As in, "whoa! I didn't expect that!" or "yikes! That took a turn!" Those are the kinds of surprises that keep me engaged and prevent my eyes from closing. This was a satisfying enough movie that hasn't really stuck with me in the aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment