Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Power of Lowered Expectations - 2020 Movie Wrap Up

Remember 2020? (Ha!)

That's the year in film we are celebrating. So, you know, go easy. Easy on the movies, easy on the film makers, easy on yourselves. Most of all, let's not expect too much from the Academy Awards Broadcast. We are still in a pandemic, still traumatized, still grieving.

I've heard a lot of complaints about this year's collection of films. Everyone was looking for that special film that transcended. And I get it, these were a different lot of films. But I have come to believe they are just right for where we are (or at least, where I am).  

Films like Sound of Metal, Judas and the Black Messiah, The Father and Pieces of a Woman grieved along with me. Nomadland, The White Tiger and The Life Ahead made me think about how our society values life and how different I think it should be. Promising Young Woman and The United States Vs. Billie Holiday and Trial of the Chicago 7 made me hunger for real justice. And I felt a little spark of hope for humanity through Minari, Soul and Another Round.

So I'm posting my favorites and picks and getting ready to be underwhelmed this evening. Thank you for reading, engaging or following along in some way. I love this journey every year and I think this year I needed it more than ever!

I managed to see ALL of the feature films nominated and all but three of the Shorts. Astonishing outcome; I never would have believed it possible.! Get vaccinated everyone, so we can meet back up in the theatres. I officially never want to watch a movie on a computer screen while perched on a pile of bean bags again!

2021 Oscar Picks

Best Picture

My fave: Promising Young Woman, My guess: Nomadland

Actress in a Supporting Role

My fave: Yuh-jung Youn (Minari), My guess: Olivia Coleman (The Father)

Actor in a Supporting Role

My fave: Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah), My guess: Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)

International Feature Film

My fave: Another Round, My guess: Another Round

Documentary Short

My fave: A Concerto is a Conversation, My guess: Hunger Ward

Documentary Feature

My fave: Collective, My guess: Collective 

Original Song

My fave: Io Si (The Life Ahead), My guess: Speak Now (One Night in Miami

Animated Feature Film

My fave: Wolfwalkers, My guess: Soul

Adapted Screenplay

My fave: The White Tiger, My guess: Nomadland

Original Screenplay

My fave: Promising Young Woman, My guess: The Trial of the Chicago 7

Actor in a Leading Role

My fave: Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal), My guess: Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)

Actress in a Leading Role

My fave: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman), My guess: Andra Day (The United States Vs. Billie Holiday)

Director

My fave: Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman), My guess: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) 

Production Design

My fave: The Father, My guess: Mank

Cinematography

My fave: Nomadland, My guess: Mank

Costume Design

My fave: Pinocchio, My guess: Mulan

Achievement in Sound

My fave: Sound of Metal, My guess: Sound of Metal

Animated Short Film

My fave: Burrow, My guess: Burrow

Live Action Short Film

My fave: The Present, My guess: The Letter Room

Original Score

My fave: Soul, My guess: Mank

Visual Effects

My fave: Tenet, My guess: Tenet

Film Editing

My fave: Promising Young Woman, My guess: The Father

Make Up & Hairstyling

My fave: Pinocchio, My guess: Mank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment