Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Crip Camp

Movie: Crip Camp
Nominated for: Documentary Feature Film
How I watched: Netflix
When I fell asleep: I think there was a little nodding off early on
When it had me: Learning about the origin of the 504
When it lost me: Some of it was painful and I wanted to tap out
What I have to say: 

Crip Camp is the story of the civil rights movement for people with disabilities, and the extraordinary camp that gave so many people the confidence to pursue that goal.

I had never questioned the "504" plan my kid gets at school in terms of where it began or why it was called that. Watching a group of people fight for Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act despite discomfort, disability and indifference was pretty awe inspiring. There was a protest, a sit in, an occupation, a  hunger strike and a hearing before  this group of tenacious individuals reached some form of progress.

The hardest part was watching intelligent people with dynamic points of view who struggled so hard to even communicate through their physical challenges. And seeing how eager society is to turn away from people who are different.

There was so much hope in this film. The promise of what can be achieved when people form a community that treats one another with love and respect. A healthy community can gain strength in their numbers and make positive change against all odds. I mean, I guess it's obvious this was produced by the Obamas.

I cried and I learned things and I felt inspired, so that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment