Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Quo Vadis, Aida?

Movie: Quo Vadis, Aida?
Nominated for: International Feature Film
How I watched: Amazon rental
When I fell asleep: I didn't
When it had me: When thousands of refugees were closed out of a UN base
When it lost me: It didn't
What I have to say: 

What a sad movie! It turns out war is endlessly brutal and tragic. New information, I know! This time, it is Bosnia in the 1990s. Aida is a translator for the UN peace keeping soldiers. In this film, we focus on one town that was targeted and emptied by an army. And it's bad, you guys, really bad, what transpires.

The acting is really fantastic in this film. The pacing is great, the stakes are high and despite all efforts at negotiation and intervention by the characters, the film maintains a constant level of tension. You feel it in your bones that everyone is a hair's breadth away from total chaos.

I can't watch these movies without wondering what I would do in similar circumstances. How far would I go to save my family? How resourceful would I be in the face of rapidly evolving catastrophe? How would I survive after the worst has occurred? 

Then I just get OVERWHELMED with how horrible humanity can be and I need ice cream or cake and a hot bath. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment