Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Pinocchio

Movie: Pinocchio
Nominated for: Costume Design, Make Up & Hairstyling
How I watched: VOD
When I fell asleep: I nodded off a few times
When it had me: I was quite charmed by many of the fantastical characters
When it lost me: It was sometimes creepy, sometimes boring
What I have to say: 

My children were horrified by this film. A live action version of a wooden boy that talks was just too much for them to deal with. Don't even get me started on the cricket conscience creature! They would not stop screaming. It made me wonder if Disney has made all of the old creepy kids stories too beautiful and palatable.

Pinocchio is so insufferably selfish and gullible. I guess that's pretty accurate in terms of children's behavior and gradual learning curve, but it's hard not to feel impatient with this tale.

I found Fox and Cat quite charming and interesting. The Blue Fairy and her friends were pretty freakish but it felt like a nice kind of imaginary home to me. So much like a comfortable home, in fact, that I began to nod off here. Angelina woke me up and said there was no way I was allowed to sleep through the disturbing movie I was making them watch. By the time we got to the whale I had really kind of lost interest.

If you love Pinocchio and weirdness and Roberto Benigni, go check out this movie. If not, you can probably skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment