Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Man Who Sold His Skin

Movie: The Man Who Sold His Skin
Nominated for: International Feature Film
How I watched: Amazon Rental
When I fell asleep: About halfway through, I dozed for ten minutes and had to go back.
When it had me: I'm not sure it ever did
When it lost me: Early and often
What I have to say:  

This one was such a struggle! A Syrian, desperate to get out of his country, sells his back for an artist to use as a canvas, becomes a commodity and complicates his life. It was slow and dark with a lot of low music and my eyes got heavy quickly.

There were some very gorgeous shots early on in the film and then either that went away or I just got bored with it. I was shocked to find that this was based on real life. A man, Tim, has sold his back skin to an art collector. After his death, the skin will be preserved and framed, but for now he gets to walk around wearing the art! Yikes!

It tapped a lot of big themes right now; inherent worth vs. perceived worth, capitalism, freedom and it's cost ($1.05, if I remember correctly) and the universal selfishness and depravity of humanity. Dark times, friends, the planet is living through its very dark "human period".

No comments:

Post a Comment